Are detox diets something that people should be doing on a regular basis to lose weight or to maintain a healthy body?
Research from the The Mayo Clinic says that detox diets have no proven scientific benefits. Our bodies naturally remove toxins from things we ingest, and there is no need to add some sort of cleansing products to our diets to remove toxins.
The body prevents toxins from entering it first by the skin. Bacteria can not penetrate the skin and the salt concentration form sweat is to harsh for bacteria to survive. Our external orifices are also protected from dreaded toxins entering the body by mucus, salvia, tears and minute hairs.
Stomach acid and bacteria in the gut then serve as the next defence mechanism. Other defence mechanisms include coughing, sneezing, runny noses, increased body temperature and the infamous diarrhoea.
After these mechanisms the body also has other removal mechanisms such as
1. Cellular waste breakdown systems such as those used for the removal of lactic acid for the body.
2. Your lymphatic system
3. Your liver, bile ducts and kidneys.
4. You alimentary canal.
We have an extraordinary system that allows us to keep our bodies healthy when we look after it. So instead of trying every detox diet known to mankind try these simple steps to better health and save yourself some money.
1. Drink at least 2l of water a day.
2. Eat a range of fruits, vegetables, grains and cereals as well as meats and eggs.
3. Increase your intake of fruit and vegetables and try to aim for at least 30% raw. Especially good for the liver are: artichokes, garlic, onion, leeks, beetroot, radish, turnip, watercress, fennel, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, apples and pears, apricots, grapes, berries, lemons, papaya, pineapple, avocado, cranberries, banana and watermelon.
4. Use a good multivitamin
5. Make sure you consume protein, carbohydrates and fats at every meal.
6. Exercise for a minimum of 30 mins every day.
So before you splurge on a detox diet take a step back and look at what you are currently doing are you following the above steps or are you after a miracle cure??